So you’re retired and wondering what to do next! Well, I’m 68 years old and all I know is that I have no plans to age gracefully. At this stage of my life, I’ve decided I’m going to do whatever it takes to stay vital and make sure the rest of my life is enjoyable, fulfilling, and meaningful. If you feel the same, I hope you’ll join me and the experience that is Just a Geezer.
I believe that to continue to enjoy life as you grow older, you need to keep physically active (bicycle through Yellowstone or walk around the block), keep your mind stimulated (get a medical degree or watch a British mystery movie), create something (paint a work of art or manicure a weed-free lawn), find something to care about (get the right people elected or help out your neighbor), and, finally, surround yourself with people who make you feel special. In the words of all Nike sponsored athletes—Just do it! Then do it again.
In an attempt to find what makes us geezers content and happy, I’ll be writing about:
- Stories and images that fascinate and thrill—Movie, Television, and Book Reviews
- Meals you and your family will enjoy together—Food/Recipes
- Things that stimulate and entertain your mind—Poetry, Music, Art, Sports
- The past that you fondly remember—Nostalgia
- The things that make you laugh and cry—Humor, Life Stories
- Doing what you have yet to try—-Something New
- Exploring the places you haven’t yet visited—Travel
- Making complicated things simpler—Money, Health, Technology
- Standing up for what you believe in—Politics, Pet Peeves
- Striving to get involved in everything life offers—Activities, Hobbies, Volunteering
- Doing uncomfortable things to find new fulfillment—Challenges
- Understanding yourself (myself?) at this stage of life—Dave’s Philosophy
If I have your help, it will be so much easier to identify what’s worth looking into and exploring further. Let me know what has and has not worked well for you since you retired. Please share your interests, experiences and questions. Be sure to make comments within the blog and/or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The world has pretty much decided seniors, boomers, and geezers don’t have much to say anymore—let them know they’re wrong! Alone we’re Just Geezers, but together were GEEZER STRONG.
My name is Dave Clark. I have been a park ranger, law-enforcement officer, emergency medical technician, smoke chaser, writer, photographer, fly fisherman, hunter, reader, backpacker, cyclist, jogger, shooter, son, brother, husband, father, g-pa and now blogger. I live in Spokane, Washington (a nice city of about 200,000 people) and am simply looking into what works best in life when you reach your 60s, have retired, and are now looking to fill your life with new and exciting experiences.
Be GEEZER STRONG,